Counselling / Psychotherapy
At Dungarvan Therapy, clients can access Counselling / Psychotherapy face to face or online.
Clients come from all over Waterford, Cork, Kilkenny, Cork, Wexford, Tipperary and throughout Ireland. You will find the Clinic located on the outskirts of Dungarvan town in West Waterford.
What is Counselling / Psychotherapy?
Counselling takes place when a counsellor meets a client in a private and confidential setting, to explore a difficulty a client is having,, e.g. distress they may be experiencing, or perhaps their dissatisfaction with life, or a loss of direction or purpose.
In counselling sessions, you are encouraged to explore various aspects of your life and feelings. There is space and time for you talk about issues freely and openly without being judged, in a way that may not be possible with friends or family.
In a confidential and safe situation you can express bottled up feelings such as anger, hurt, anxiety, grief or embarrassment which sometimes feel very intense and difficult to contain. Being able to express these feelings and talk about them in a secure place can help dissolve them, reduce the pain caused by them, making them easier to understand, and find a way to move forward.
How many sessions will I need?
This depends entirely on your situation, the difficulties you experience, and your personal preferences. A single session may sometimes be all that is needed. On the other hand, some clients may attend up to a year. More typically people attend for four to ten sessions. It may sometimes be possible for me to give a rough guide on how many sessions are required from the outset. The frequency of sessions is normally weekly.
Which problems are appropriate for Counselling / Psychotherapy?
The following issues or anything that concerns, upsets, or worries you, can be appropriate for counselling:
- Anxiety / Stress / Worry / Panic Attacks
- Depression or low mood
- Relationship or family problems
- Bereavement, loss, trauma.
- Low self-esteem /lack of confidence.
- Past childhood abuse or neglect.
- Difficulties arising from physical illness or injury.
- Work related issues / bullying/ harassment.
- Loss of direction / life change
- Sexuality or gender issues.
- Trauma - past or present.
Which approach is used for Counselling / Psychotherapy?
Helen specialises in the psychodynamic Counselling / Psychotherapy approach that involves dealing with issues of the past which affects functioning in the here and now. However there may be specific times when Helen will use other approaches, such as:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Problem Solving
- Solution Focussed Therapy
- Techniques such as Emotional Freedom Technique, Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing (EMDR), Symptom Deconstruction or the Healing Therapies
- Somatic Experiencing (SE) - Deals with trauma of past and present
- Emotion Code (EC) - Releases trapped emotions in the body. Trapped and hidden-trapped.
Payment for sessions is made after the session, via online, cheque or cash. All sessions last 50 mins. Cancellations with less than a minimum of 3 working days incur full costs.
- Counselling / Psychotherapy €80
- Clinical Supervision €80
- Clinical Hypnotherapy €160
- Clinical Hypnotherapy for Smoking €300